Closing the filtering debate?

Ronnie Morgan rmorgan at Harding.edu
Wed Jun 11 12:16:42 EDT 1997

At 08:25 AM 6/11/97 -0700, CMUNSON wrote:

>Patron records and the FBI DO have something to do with this debate,
because it
>is a case example of the clash between the state and the ethics and
philosophies
>of not just the library profession, but the entire public library concept. I
>don't find it amusing that a professional would joke about patron privacy,
but I
>guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I wasn't joking about patron privacy.  Just trying to turn it around to
show you why I (and still do) think it's not relevant.  And again, I see
where you are taking it, but the internet and patron privacy are two
unrelated subjects.

>I'm not sure what we are talking about here. Are we debating open access for
>kid, adults, or both. I thought the pro-censorware folks were still saying
that
>filtering was OKk for adult users? Am I correct?

I can't say this is true for all, but for me, it's only about the children.
 If you are an adult, then so be it, go look at anything you want.  But the
kids should be kept from such material.  I won't even go so far as to call
it information, either.  Some have argured that porn *could* be
information, to which I agreed, but, for the most part, it is not
information.  Especially when we are talking about kids.

>I have no interest in trying save face. Maybe the librarian profession
>should worry about losing face, if it refuses to stand up to this stupid
>hysteria. The real losers in this debate, if censorware wins the day,
>will be the library users.

I don't think so.  If adults have unrestricted access, how are they losing?
 And would it not be better to prevent kids from seeing porn?  If not, then
the law concerning sale of porn to minors should be done away with.

>Again, Ronnie's response is another attempt to stifle debate, with talk
>of "losing face," disclaimers on messages, and attempts to get the
>anti-censorware camp to accept the legitimacy of filtering software.

Whatever...  But I don't see how we are going to get anywhere by continuing.

Ronnie