WYSIWYG Editor???? -Reply

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Thu Jun 5 16:07:04 EDT 1997

>look at pages in both.  We do NOT consider earlier NS or IE
>versions, and we certainly do NOT consider lynx viewers.
>Call us elitist if you want, but that's the way it is.

I don't know if 'elitist' is the right term, but you are definitely
excluding folks who don't happen to conform to the two browsers for which
you do design. Why do people get so defensive about giving some
consideration to Lynx (witness some of the flame wars on newsgroups).  I
know several people who use Lynx at work and at home for various reasons.
There are some simple things you can do to ensure that your pages, while
not perfect, are at least comprehensible to those viewing your site with
other browsers or Lynx. I don't know if you've looked at your server stats,
but it was quite instructive for me when I saw that even though Netscape
3.0 had a modest majority, the variety of browsers used to access our site
was quite varied.

In terms of a WYSIWYG editor, I have been using FrontPage 97 to work on our
revised web site. It seems to conform well enough to standards. However, I
usually look at the page with the markup once I'm done and run it through a
validator before it's loaded on the server.

Sheryl Dwinell
Cataloger/Database Management Librarian
Memorial Library, Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141