scanning images and making thumbnails

Charles A. Summerhill casummerhill at librarylrc.uams.edu
Thu Jun 5 12:21:07 EDT 1997

Robinson,Linda wrote:

> I'm a novice at images. I'm trying to  find out what resolution is
> best to
> scan photos and what software would help me make thumbnails or smaller
>
> copies of the scanned photos. I hope these aren't stupid, ignorant
> questions, but I'm ignorant in this area.  TIA
> Linda Robinson
> OCLC Information Center

  We did this not too long ago for Medical images to be
searchable/served from the Web. We decided on 90 (wide) x 60 (tall)
pixel thumbnail images and 720 (wide) x 480 (tall) pixel final images.
Our decision for the final image size was based on the final media that
the images were expected to support -- in this case it was on-screen,
multimedia projects. The thumbnails size was determined by finding the
smallest size that would get across the contents -- this is subjective,
of course.

You can see a sample of the database (with limited data) at
[http://www.librarylrc.uams.edu/wwwroot/MediaDatabase/index.html].

Hope this helps...

--
  Charles A. Summerhill