scanning images and making thumbnails

Steve Harding harding at nas.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 5 11:33:01 EDT 1997

> I'm a novice at images. I'm trying to  find out what resolution is best to
> scan photos and what software would help me make thumbnails or smaller
> copies of the scanned photos. I hope these aren't stupid, ignorant
> questions, but I'm ignorant in this area.  TIA

You neglected to say for which platform.  A simple tool for UNIX and its
variants is xv, which is shareware.  I also use Illustrator and Photoshop
on a Mac, and Galleria and PMview under OS/2.

Rule of thumb:  For online presentation, use any multiple of 36; for print,
use any multiple of 75.

harding at orygun.nas.nasa.gov	  Steve Harding		steveh at grafex.sbay.org
				     -- o --