ALA participation -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Fri Jul 18 08:27:20 EDT 1997

In case y'all are waiting for my personal reply to Burt on the list,
there won't be one.   I will make one personal comment: when
Dan Lester says he is a "propeller-head," you need to take that
literally.  He came to the PICS preconference wearing a beany
with a propeller that made me green with envy!

I will make one list observation.  On some lists, and even
newsgroups, folks have a high personal identification.  For
example, we had a really fun PUBLIB party at ALA, complete
with wonderful buttons created by a PUBLIBer.  It really
changes things to get to know one another.  Stumpers folks get
together too, and I have a friend who has thrown parties for one
of the alt. newsgroups.  I think we are still analog enough to
benefit from face-to-face interaction, and that it would change the
flavor of the list if we knew one another better.  I strongly
recommend a Web4Lib something-or-other in the near future
(another reason to join ALA is that you get to meet all your
friends at the conference--worth paying for!).

Back to proxy servers, authentication issues, renewing databases,
format integration, Dublin Core, and the crease in my brow that
won't go away since the "smooth, overnight" upgrade to Novell
4*.  Wurrah, wurrah!  Librarianship--it's not just a job, it's an
adventure!

Karen G. Schneider/schneider.karen at epamail.epa.gov
Contractor, GCI/Director, US EPA Region 2 Library
http://www.epa.gov/Region2/library/
Councilwoman-at-large, ALA