Interface planning

John Kupersmith jkup at powernet.net
Thu Jul 17 13:31:58 EDT 1997

re Jennifer Heise's question:
>What kinds of group techniques, organizations, etc. have proved successful in
>relatively smoothly designing interfaces?  What is the optimum group size for
>meetings on such a project (we've already established that 10 is probably too
>many and 2 is too few)? Any other tips?

I once gave a talk on this subject at ALA and was roundly criticized for
even suggesting that interface design could be done properly by a group.
Several years have passed, and I sometimes think the critics were right!

It may be that the initial creative work of bringing forth a coherent design
is most likely to come from an individual.  But for a project on the scale
of a university's catalog system, the considerations that go into this
process before and after that point--user requirements, system constraints,
data characteristics, institutional politics, etc.--are so diverse that some
group activity and input seems inevitable.

The group size might be determined by the need to represent various
stakeholders (public services, tech services, systems people), but it
seems to me that 5-7 people would be optimum.  Much depends, of course,
on the personalities involved, how the team develops, how clear the
charge is, and whether the team has the resources to accomplish the
task.

One other idea: in designing the UTCAT user interface at UT Austin
(mid-1980s), we developed a set of design principles fairly early in
the process.  This proved useful later on as a point of reference.
See:  http://www.greatbasin.com/~jkup/utcat.html

--jk
  John Kupersmith                          jkup at washoe.lib.nv.us
  Internet Services Librarian        http://www.washoe.lib.nv.us
  Washoe County Library                     voice:  702-785-4137
  301 South Center St., Reno, NV 89501        fax:  702-785-4087
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Not speaking for WCL in this message~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~