fortres software

Jim Jones jjones at lib.bsu.edu
Thu Jul 10 09:58:50 EDT 1997

>We have been just shutting down PC's that have fortress on them.  Both
>those with Win3.1 and Win95.  Nothing horrible seems to have happened.
>Sometimes Win95 complains a bit, and demands a scandisk.. but that is all.
>
>Isabel

We don't run fortres (yet?), but I do take a bit of an issue with your
statement that "nothing horrible" happens.  Take it from someone who has
had problems with users just shutting off Windows 95 machines.  On several
occasions they have corrupted their network drivers and have required a couple
of hours fixing other problems that cropped up.  Take Microsoft's advice.
ALWAYS SHUTDOWN THE COMPUTER PROPERLY!

Besides the correct shutdown of Windows 95 helps the administrator out as it
creates backups of several important files each time that it is shut down.
Examples include a copy of the  files that make up the registry, the winsock.dll
and a bunch of others.

You can usually shut down "disabled" windows 95 machines by pressing
CTRL-ALT-DEL and then clicking on the SHUTDOWN button (unless this is
disabled by fortres (???).

You CAN get away with just turning them off for extended periods of time.
Some people never experience any problems, BUT it is a crap shoot and one
that I would think most administrator's are unwilling to take.