Wired News article

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Jul 8 22:21:18 EDT 1997

I think the Wired article precisely caught the "nuts and bolts" focus of
TIFAP. My bio was slightly off, but no matter.

Amy's right that Yahooligans clearly states its audience in its
policy--when I looked at her filled-out forms, I saw she had even been
careful to note this. This type of consideration is something we will take
note of in our assessments. After all, if we buy a size 6 shoe for a size
12 foot, whose fault is that?  One of the issues about filters--or word
processing software, or OPACs, or any other software--is that librarians
are still learning how to select and buy the new tools of the trade.  We've
made some mistakes in the past... for a long time vendors drove the look
and feel of OPACs, and because we didn't want to concern ourselves with
"nonprint" media, we let them.  Filters are in some sense another good
opportunity for us to get it right on this issue.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com