A few technical questions

Jeremy Brodie jbrodie at wo.blm.gov
Fri Jan 31 14:25:52 EST 1997

Colleagues,

I am wrestling with the following issues that I could use some
outside expertise.

1) Mail that deliver from the outside from a form is currently sent
to my e-mail box. Is there a way for this information to kept in a
file, converted into a comma separated text file, then converted into
a database program of my choice, in an automated fashion? Which
portions of the process can be automated using software? (The
platforms that can be used here are either Windows NT or UNIX AIX
machines)

2) We are also in the process of creating an on-line scientist
program where experts who work in the field can talk to members of
the general public. My question is, Is there software available that
can take the question that is sent from the public, place it into a
database, search the database and if the question has been asked
before send a reply with an answer from the database. Again we have
the same choice of platforms available as above.

I thank you for your help and expertise.

Jeremy Brodie
Bureau of Land Management
Program Assistant
jbrodie at wo.blm.gov