freeWAIS-sf (RE: SWISH Wish List)

Bin Zhang bzhang at library.kcc.hawaii.edu
Fri Jan 24 20:58:13 EST 1997

Roy:

I would like to add something that I don't like about SWISH:

1. I have to write a script for each database I index.  I want
to be able to customize in html form for each database, and all forms
will just call one file (the script, wwwwais or swish-cgi).

2. Unable to index delimited one-file databases.  For example, I would
like to be able to index our library's periodical list and make
searchable.

3. Field search and proximity search (You mentioned it in your
wishlist).

4. Synonyms search (again, it's in your wishlist already).

I have found that freeWAIS-SF combines with SFGate is a good
alternative.   It does allow Boolean and/or/not search, proximity
(pre/n, w/n), soundex search, field search.  For each database, record
and field delimiters can be defined in a "format" file.

In SFGate, all the parameters are given in a html form, and you can
define customized header and/or footer, default operators (and/or) in
the form.

You can find freeWAIS-sf at
  http://ls6-www.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/ir/projects/freeWAIS-sf/

Bin Zhang <bzhang at Hawaii.Edu>         4303 Diamond Head Road
Automation/Reference Librarian        Honolulu, HI 96816
Kapiolani Community College           Phone: (808) 734-9254
University of Hawaii                  Fax:   (808) 734-9453