Head of S.F.'s Library Resigns Under Pressure (fwd) -

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Fri Jan 24 14:37:04 EST 1997

     Oh boy, deja vu all over again. The last time I posted something about
     net ethics to this forum, it was about the silly notion that somebody
     wrote that you had to ask permission to add a link from your page to
     someone else's page. I said this was about as silly as a bibliographer
     having to ask all the authors of the books being listed for
     permission. We all know this isn't how bibliographies ar compiled
     (unless there's been some change I don't know about).

     I think it would be good "netiquette" to not waste a person's time
     with an email about permissions (for making a link).

     Of course, some common sense should prevail here. If the Washington
     Post was to provide a link to a resource on a small server, they could
     warn the person that they might see a huge increase in traffic, which
     might swamp a server. I'm not aware that the Post, which does include
     external links to flesh out its news stories, notifes web site
     administrators.

     If a site really wants to control who can use their site, they should
     restrict it with a wall of some kind, be it a pay site or password
     restricted.

     Chuck Munson