Webtv -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Tue Jan 14 19:39:14 EST 1997

Having seen WebTV in the store, and having read a
review in a recent computer rag (forget which, was
browsing in the bookstore, and it was a one pager), I'm
not going to worry about it until our patrons start
complaining to us about our pages looking bad on the
WebTV.

I agree that the $350 or so is not a big deal to many
people.

It also should work on any phone line, and many will
not bother with another.  I spend a lot of time on the net
at work and at home, as does my wife (we're both
"internet librarians").  But we have voicemail so people
can leave messages and that just isn't a hassle.  Of
course if we still had teenagers at home, I'd have two
lines anyway.  o-)

The 33.6 modem is built in, but most people will NOT
get 33.6.  I have a 33.6 modem, as does my ISP.  I live
in a new subdivision and home, which should both
have good wiring.  The ISP is a mile away (though who
knows the route it travels to get there).  Our regional
phone switching office is about three miles away.  But
I'm thrilled when I get 28.8, and 26.4, 24, and 21.6 are
all MUCH more common than anything higher.  For
that matter, I often get 19.2.  WebTV doesn't solve that
problem.

You have to have a WebTV account, and I couldn't get
specific numbers on the cost of that.  It can't be TOO
cheap, since it is dialing an 800 number somewhere.
You can NOT use it to connect to a regular ISP.

WebTV covers the subset of the web (unspecified)
that they put on WebTV.  They claimed over 90
percent and the "best parts", whatever that means to
whoever is making the selection.  Is their selection G
rated, R rated, TV14 rated?  Unrated?  Who
knows...not me.

You don't get newsgroups, email, etc.  In fact, I'm not
sure how or what it uses as an identifier if you want to
webshop.  Many webshopping places require an email
address to send the order confirmation, the key to
opening the software, etc, etc.  For that matter, with no
keyboard, how would you put in your name, address,
visa number, etc?

There is no keyboard, so it appears that your browsing
is by going from their startup pages and search
engines to places you want to go.  No apparent way of
bookmarking or of typing in a new URL (which might
not be on their system anyway).   They apparently use
a proprietary compression scheme to compress ALL
content they send to your TV.  Unclear where and how
the reformatting, etc, of graphics, fonts, etc. happens,
or how good it is.

Someone mentioned the issue of "like a letterboxed
movie on tv".  I don't understand that at all.  Both
computer monitor and regular tv are the same 4:3
aspect ratio.

Even though the resolution won't match a good
monitor, we must remember these folks are also in
line to make it NEWWebTV when the HDTV, digital TV,
or whatever the next generation is comes in.

cheers

cyclops

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725
USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR
alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas,
1979.