Internet Long Distance Charges

David C. Leviton dleviton at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 12 15:56:07 EST 1997

I thought that I would pass this along.  I believe this topic to be
relevant because it could seriously impact the number of students (and
anyone else) who use the World Wide Web.

According to an editorial in today's *Daily Texan,* the newspaper for the
University of Texas at Austin, long distance carriers and phone companies
are lobbying the FCC to allow the charging of per minute rates for Internet
use.
If implemented, this sounds potentially fatal to the Internet as we know it.

The full text of the editorial can be found at
http://stumedia.tsp.utexas.edu/webtexan/today/97021204_s05_Watch.html

It gives an e-mail address to express concerns and feelings to the FCC
about this issue.  It is isp at fcc.com.  The deadline for comments is
February 13.

David C. Leviton
Senior Office Assistant - Electronic Information Programs Office
University of Texas at Austin/General Libraries
PCL 1.128
Austin, TX 78712
(512) 495-4171
dleviton at mail.utexas.edu