Authentication problem with IE3

Steve Thomas sthomas at library.adelaide.edu.au
Tue Dec 16 19:36:40 EST 1997

We have a problem which I hope someone on this list may be able to help
with. Apologoes to all the others for whom this is not interesting.

We have a web server (NCSA Httpd) with a cgi directory which requires
authentication, either by domain name (IP) or by username/password.

When I try this, from home (to avoid authenticating on my IP!) it works as
intended -- I get asked for the Username and password. I use a Mac with
Netscape Communicator.

When a user tries this from outsied our net, using Win 3.11 and IE3, he
gets this message instead of the usernam/password prompt:

	`Authentication is required for this document.  The server did not
	specify a supported authentication method'

The cgi directory contains a .htaccess file:

AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/httpd/wscgi/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName WebSPIRS
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from .adelaide.edu.au
require valid-user
satisfy any
</Limit>

Is there anything missing?
Should I have used IP number instead of domain name?
And why does this work through Netscape but not Internet Explorer? (Well ...)

And if anyone wants to try it out, the URL is
http://library.adelaide.edu.au/gen/edb/erl/webspirs.html
- pick a database and click on 'Search': you should be asked for a Username
etc. (If you're allowed in, please let me know, since you shouldn't be!)

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve
 Stephen Thomas, Senior Systems Analyst
 Mail : Barr Smith Library, The University of Adelaide, South Australia 5005
 Phone: (08) 8303 5190                                   Fax: (08) 8303 4369
 Email: sthomas at library.adelaide.edu.au
 URL  : http://library.adelaide.edu.au/ual/staff/sthomas.html
 ** Unless otherwise stated, the content of this message reflects only my **
 ** own opinion, and not the policy of the University of Adelaide Library.**

 "I must Create a System, or be enslav'd by another Man's" -- William Blake