GW2K or Dell?

Vladislav S. Davidzon davidzon at metronet.lib.mi.us
Mon Dec 8 22:41:16 EST 1997

To say enough, I've seen Dells and Microns opened up as I have done
maintenance on them (including upgrades, etc).  Both Dell and Micron use
very high quality parts, from what I've seen so far.  New systems seem to
be very good.

So far, since August, when we got 6 (I believe so at least) microns, we've
had very little problems with them.  There have been no hardware failures
in microns, other than the monitor problems (refresh rates) I've mentioned
earlier.

As far as Dell's, we've had no significant problems with new dells, other
than one of the machines coming in with a case where the front cover was
not completely attached, which I fixed very easily by simply bending the
clip. I've had no significant hardware problems with Dells.  Even old (2+
years) machines work great.

Now, as far as compaqs.  I would advice against buying ANYTHING
compaq-related.  Let alone the hardware components which are completely
propriatory, we are having a failure after a failure with these (for a
lack of a better word) pieces of junk.  We've had a deskpro 2000 come in,
have its hard drive fry thirty minutes after it was turned on.  I've had
Compaq 5100E's giving a motherboard failure if you plug in non-compaq (but
same speed, same pin number) RAM chips, where you simply have to reset the
bios.  They are totally propriatory as far as hardware is concerned.  I've
also heard and read about MANY horror stories (such as a mouse taking 5+
weeks to replace!) about them which I can easily believe thanks to my
experiences.

The point that Ms. Lindh makes is a very important one.  It is VERY
important what brand parts you have in your machine.  What type of RAM,
speed of hard disk, and obviously sizes of RAM and hd are very important.
Note that in my experiences, a Compaq 5100E P100 and a Dell P75, when
loaded (cleanly) with the same exact software, the Dell has worked about
twice as fast.  Why?  Because from what I understand Compaq uses
lower-quality parts.  Things as simple as processor heat sinks make a HUGE
difference.  (Micron and Dells have HUGE sinks on their machines BTW now)
Upgrades also seem to yield lower performance than new machines often
times (depending on type of upgrade).

Please note that these are my personal opinions, not those of any
organizations I may be associated with, and pardon for any typo's I made
in the above message, as I am typing it in a hurry.

-- Vladislav