Javascript

Steve Thomas sthomas at library.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Dec 4 18:41:07 EST 1997

At 11:19 AM 97/12/04 -0800, Robert W. Pasicznyuk wrote:
>I'm just now learning Javascript.  Does anyone know of a method to timeout
>either Netscape or Internet Explorer using a javascript?

Depends what it is that you want to time-out. (Whatever it is, I don't
think it can be done with JavaScript -- although I'm no expert there.)

If you simply want the current page to be replced with some other page
after a set time, you can do tha easily with HTML. We have our Library Home
page 'time-out' to our News page after a few minutes. All you do is put
this code into the HEAD part of the page:

	<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh"
      CONTENT="120;URL=http://library.adelaide.edu.au/news/index.html">

This tells your browser to replace the current page
<http://library.adelaide.edu.au> after 120 seconds (2 minutes) with the
News page at <http://library.adelaide.edu.au/news/index.html>.

The news page has a similar code which returns to the home page.

We also use this idea for pages which have moved -- the original location
has a page which redirects the user to the new location, with the timeout
value set at 5 seconds.

Probably not what you wanted, but may help somebody!

Steve
 Stephen Thomas, Senior Systems Analyst
 Mail : Barr Smith Library, The University of Adelaide, South Australia 5005
 Phone: (08) 8303 5190                                   Fax: (08) 8303 4369
 Email: sthomas at library.adelaide.edu.au
 URL  : http://library.adelaide.edu.au/ual/staff/sthomas.html
 ** Unless otherwise stated, the content of this message reflects only my **
 ** own opinion, and not the policy of the University of Adelaide Library.**

 "I must Create a System, or be enslav'd by another Man's" -- William Blake