HTML 4.0 Approved, and Unicode

Robert Rasmussen ras at nimbus.anzio.com
Thu Dec 18 17:13:56 EST 1997

Thanks for the notification.

I recently commented (on this list, I think!) in the context of web page
translation, that I thought HTML had no way of dealing with "foreign"
(depending on your point of view) character entities. As Thomas points out,
HTML 4 standardizes on Unicode (same as ISO 10646). It does this in a way that
is backward compatible with earlier schemes. This holds great promise for
international and other cross-language access.

For those interested in Unicode issues, let me save you some time. Although
information about Unicode is available (http://www.unicode.org), you won't
find the actual standard (character maps, glyphs, etc.) there. For that you
need an actual BOOK (with CD-ROM): ISBN 0-201-48345-9

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760