Containment rather than filter?

Steve Hooley! hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Tue Apr 22 08:15:46 EDT 1997

        At Henderson Library we have set aside a 'chat pit, MUD wallow and
MUSH room' using old 8088 and 286 computers. These allow telnetting to game
& chat sites and allow students to logon and check their e-mail. We are
checking out a program called ARACHNE which allows these machines to websurf
with a DOS browser - so far it's buggy. But we can throw obnoxious emailers
or chatters out of the Research area and tell 'em to hit the pit. Works
great, so far.
        Now, a Porn Pit might be hard to justify. I can see the Head
Librarian's face now. Ooh.

|   Stephen S. Hooley         |  Statesboro Ga
|  Romulan Tech Assistant     |  Home of the
|    Henderson Library        |  Statesboro
|"It's Only a Job Description"|  Blues
| Georgia Southern University |