Metadata question

Walter Lewis lewisw at hhpl.on.ca
Tue Apr 22 18:33:07 EDT 1997

Jeanne Enright wrote:

> We are planning to digitize some city directories and are investigating the
> possibility of providing metadata. Is anyone aware of any projects that
> provide metadata for each page of a directory or other document?
> Jeanne Enright,  Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library

If by metadata in this context we mean "words to describe the contents
of a particular page" as distinct from catalogue records or
structured/unstructured elements in the <HEAD> tag of an HTML document,
look at the University of Michigan Digital Library
(http://www.umdl.umich.edu/moa/).

I'm only aware of this as a user, but there are what appears to be a
full-text engine based on OCR of the 600 dpi tiff files, that drive a
hit-list linked to those specific pages.  Display is of the TIFF
originals so you never see the extent to which the OCR'd data is "clean"

Alternatively, if you approach the collection by
Author/Title/Subject/Date you get a "bibliographic" screen with attached
page references/URLs to display those pages.  Special links take you to
displays of Title Page/Table of Contents/Indexes and other special
"location" features in a given item.

Is this the kind of MetaData you're looking for?

Walter Lewis
Deputy Chief/Systems
Halton Hills Public Library
(Toronto line 798-4730 x288 for our friends at Metro :-)