Library School Curriculum ideas

Laura A Schmitt las at laser.net
Thu Apr 3 10:51:00 EST 1997

I've been fascinated by the useful information I've picked up on this list
since I subscribed several months ago. I would love to hear Web4Lib
members's ideas about an issue I haven't seen discussed yet; How best to
train library professionals to make effective use of the Internet in
their work.

I'm a graduate student in library science with a particular interest in
using internet technology and the web to provide information services to a
broad array of information seekers.  I'm completing my first core courses
(reference, cataloging, info tech) and need to develop a plan of coursework
and independent study for the remainder of my degree program.  There's so
much to learn, and so little time.  I'm hoping to take advantage of my
school's participation in a regional consortium to allow me access to a
broader array of coursework.  I have several questions.

First, I'm curious about what list members would like to see new graduates
know when we start seeking work.  As well, what you would have liked to
have been able to study to prepare for your current work?  Finally, I'm
curious about what experience list members might have with established
library schools already offering specialized programs in this area; what
kinds of training/experiences/courses are they offering, or not offering
that they should?

I don't know if this is a topic of sufficient interest to maintain onlist.
If people prefer to respond off-list, I'll be happy to summarize the

Thanks,
L.A. Schmitt