Library School Curriculum ideas

kevin bishop kwbishop at indiana.edu
Thu Apr 3 14:05:31 EST 1997

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Laura A Schmitt wrote:

> First, I'm curious about what list members would like to see new graduates
> know when we start seeking work.  As well, what you would have liked to
> have been able to study to prepare for your current work?  Finally, I'm
> curious about what experience list members might have with established
> library schools already offering specialized programs in this area; what
> kinds of training/experiences/courses are they offering, or not offering
> that they should?
>
> I don't know if this is a topic of sufficient interest to maintain onlist.
> If people prefer to respond off-list, I'll be happy to summarize the

	I too am a graduate student in library and information science who
has worked extensively with construction of Web sites and resources on the
Internet, preparing to finish soon, and would also be interested in
hearing what the seasoned professionals have to say regarding the
questions above.

	While my primary interests are in media librarianship, I did not
come to this realization until relatively recently.  As a consequence, and
in combination with other intervening factors, I have taken courses which
may not have prepared me as well as I would prefer (although I certainly
believe I'm more than fully qualified!).  However, I still believe a broad
background or at least exposure to various aspects of librarianship is
valuable.

	Are there media librarians here that would like to describe the
types of work they do with the Web (and the Internet)?

	Perhaps these questions are better answered off the list.  If so,
please cc me <kwbishop at indiana.edu> in your replies to Laura Schmitt.

	Thanks for your time.

kevin bishop
Comparative Literature/Film Studies