Network Security

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Tue Oct 22 09:40:31 EDT 1996

Re:  WinShield 95

I evaluated this product a while back, and the one really useful
thing that it did in my estimation was to constrain saves to
floppy disk.  As a part of this option, it also defanged the
Win95 Open/Save dialog boxes, which (as has often been mentioned
here) are one of the worst security holes in Win95 security.

Otherwise, I thought that much of what the program did was doable
through registry settings.  Also, the program had to leave a
shortcut in the Start | Programs | Start Up menu, meaning that
patrons could go to that menu, click on the shortcut, and try
their hands at password guessing.  I'm not sure if there was an
easy way to install the program to multiple machines.

To be fair, I must mention that it has been almost a year since I
evaluated the program, and changes may well have been made to it
to remedy these and other criticisms.

Other programs to consider:  Fortres 101, by Fortres Grand
Corp. (http://www.fortres.com/), StopLight ELS, by SafetyNet
(http://www.safe.net/), and Integrity PACS-L for Win 3.x by
Hyper Technologies (http://www.hypertec.com/index.html).  Hyper
Technologies is working on an Integrity package for Win95.  It
looks promising to me because it is supposed to constrain saves
to floppy, as WinShield does.  Hyper Technologies also has a
program called IKIOSK that lets a library create a "kiosked"
version of an application like Netscape, by greying out unwanted
menu options.  Has anyone tried the new beta version 2.0?

I would welcome mention and evaluation of any other 3rd party
security software tried by libraries.

I hope this helps.

Chuck

Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Catalog Department		voice: 713/247-3499
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-3158
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002		-=> NOT SPEAKING FOR HPL <=-
      -=>HPL's Homepage: http://sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us<=-

--- On Mon, 21 Oct 1996 20:55:34 -0700  Laurie Bonnice
<isavante at naples.net> wrote:

>I am a systems librarian for a small private college in Southwest
Florida.  I am
>currently working with the Campus Network Administrator on a
project for Network
>Security.  We are looking at a number of products and I was
wondering if anyone could
>give me feedback on personal experience with any of the following
products.

>We have a LAN with over 80 users accessing the network.  We also
have a WAN with about
>8-10 users accessing at a time.  We are in the process of
purchasing 60 new computers
>with Windows 95 and hard drives on them for use in the computer
classrooms and labs.

>We are looking at MS Winshield for Windows 95.  Copies must be
purchased individually
>rather than purchasing user licenses.  I would be interested in any
other comparable
>products as well.  Also, we received some literature from Centurion
Technologies about a