Client-Server Vs. Turnkey Systems

Marie Suhre mhs at inel.gov
Mon Oct 7 16:52:43 EDT 1996

My library is considering converting to a new automation system.  We
currently have several locally built systems that are several years old.
They use Clipper, dBaseIII, Excel, and AskSam.  Can anyone recommend a
recent article that describes the pros and cons of using client-server
systems (such as Oracle) versus turnkey systems (such as TechLib) for
automating library functions (things like cataloging, acquisitions, ILL,
circulation)?  We also have both Web and Gopher servers and would like any
new system to interface with the Web environment.  Thanks!
                                                                 Marie
*   Marie Suhre                                Internet: mhs at inel.gov   *
*   INEL Technical Library                       Voice: (208)526-1194   *
*   Lockheed Martin Idaho Technologies Company   Fax: (208)526-0211     *
*   P.O. Box 1625                                                       *
*   Idaho Falls, Idaho 83415-2300                                       *
*   USA                                                                 *