text browser availability for "primitive" PCs?

Peter Farris pfarris at itsa.ucsf.edu
Mon Oct 7 15:10:37 EDT 1996

At 10:38 AM 10/7/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I recently received this request from one of my Reference Librarians.
>Can anyone give me some suggestions?

>   Do you know of a place on the Internet where we might be able to
>download Lynx or another text based browser for my patron.  He has

----
The University of Kansas has the Lynx home page at
http://kuhttp.cc.ukans.edu/about_lynx/, which includes information on
downloading it. If the patron has dial-in access to the Internet, he should
be able to access Lynx on the server he's dialing into (if the site
administrator has had it installed) rather than on his own computer. In that
way (among others), it's different from Netscape Navigator and the other
graphical browsers, which are meant to run on local PC's. Have him try
dialing in and typing the word "lynx" at the Unix prompt.