Netscape's Inbox Direct.

John Hammer hammerj at ALPHA.NSULA.EDU
Mon Oct 7 12:49:32 EDT 1996

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Wilfred [Bill] Drew wrote:

> The following announcement was in Edupage this morning:
>
> NETSCAPE LAUNCHES INBOX DIRECT
> Netscape's InBox Direct software enables users to receive Web pages via
> the
> e-mail client contained in its Netscape Navigator 3.0 browser.  The new
> technology means companies can send Web-page-type information to
> prospective
> customers rather than waiting for them to come to their Web site.
> Yahoo!
> And Clarinet Communications both have announced they will use the new
> technology to deliver information to their customers.  Industry
> observers
> have pointed out that the proliferation of this technology could signal
> new paradigm in Web marketing, but also warn that it could backfire, by
> bolstering the telcos' case for higher rates and increased regulation of
> Internet connections.  (Interactive Age Digital 2 Oct 96)
>
> I am fascinated by this idea as it has lots of potential for the
> delivery of information.   I am already subscribing to Mercury Mail's
> weather and news services.  The big proble is that I have been unable to
> connect to Inbox Direct via the Netscape Destinations page.  I get error
> messages saying the file doesn't exist or else the server is down.  i
> sent Netscape a message about this on Friday without any response.  I am
> using Netscape Gold 3.0 via Windows for Workgroups.  Any body use Inbox
> Direct successfully?
> --
> Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
> SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
> Internet: DREWWE at SNYMORVA.CS.SNYMOR.EDU
> Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
> Homepage: http://www.snymor.edu/~drewwe/
> Not Just Cows Homepage: http://www.snymor.edu/~drewwe/njc/
> LibraryLinks: http://www.snymor.edu/pages/library/
> --

If this becomes another way of delivering unwanted marketing information
(better know as junk mail) then no, it is not a step forward.  Only if
the user has the ability to turn it off, or to individually select those
companies or product groups as wanted, will it become a useful tool.

John C. Hammer                          +
Head of Cataloging                      +            All opinions
Watson Library                          +             expressed
Northwestern State University           +              are mine
Natchitoches, LA  71497                 +            and not those
hammerj at alpha.nsula.edu                 +            of my employer
318/357-4462                            +