Netscape's Inbox Direct.

Wilfred [Bill] Drew drewwe at snymorva.cs.snymor.edu
Mon Oct 7 10:08:06 EDT 1996

The following announcement was in Edupage this morning:

NETSCAPE LAUNCHES INBOX DIRECT
Netscape's InBox Direct software enables users to receive Web pages via
the
e-mail client contained in its Netscape Navigator 3.0 browser.  The new
technology means companies can send Web-page-type information to
prospective
customers rather than waiting for them to come to their Web site.
Yahoo!
And Clarinet Communications both have announced they will use the new
technology to deliver information to their customers.  Industry
observers
have pointed out that the proliferation of this technology could signal
new paradigm in Web marketing, but also warn that it could backfire, by
bolstering the telcos' case for higher rates and increased regulation of
Internet connections.  (Interactive Age Digital 2 Oct 96)

I am fascinated by this idea as it has lots of potential for the
delivery of information.   I am already subscribing to Mercury Mail's
weather and news services.  The big proble is that I have been unable to
connect to Inbox Direct via the Netscape Destinations page.  I get error
messages saying the file doesn't exist or else the server is down.  i
sent Netscape a message about this on Friday without any response.  I am
using Netscape Gold 3.0 via Windows for Workgroups.  Any body use Inbox
Direct successfully?
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902