Blocking chat on Netscape

Christa Burns christa at library.pace.edu
Fri Nov 15 10:55:23 EST 1996

We have the same sort of problem here at Pace University.  We have had so
much use of our terminals, that we have tried to discourage use of chat
rooms and e-mail.  We will be instituting an official policy stating this
next semester - that entering chat rooms or e-mail on our research
workstations is not allowed.  We have 2 workstations dedicated to
e-mail only.  We ARE open to the public, but our students doing
research are our first priority.  At the university level, we feel that
anyone using our computers should use them for class related research
only.  Normally, chat rooms would not fall into this category - they are
mostly for fun and entertainment purposes.  However, there are some chat
rooms that could be used for research - on certain literature subjects,
for example.  Chat rooms can be set up on ANY topic - students can talk
directly to experts in many fields to get information for their class
related research.  So this is a hard decision to make.  We can't
monitor every person using a chat room and determine if it is for
research or just for fun.  You never know who they might be talking to.
It seems like a simple choice, but when you really investigate it, just
like everything on the Internet, you never know what you're going to get!

Christa J. Burns
Graduate Services Librarian		   (914) 422-4384
Pace University			BURNS at PACEVM.DAC.PACE.EDU

"A human mind, once stretched to a new idea,
  never returns to its former dimensions."
	--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.