DOS emulator program in UNIX to run CD-ROMs

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Thu Nov 14 10:38:55 EST 1996

This same issue was discussed in May on LINUX4LIB (where I lurk as
a hopeful future Linuxer).  I find this kind of thing very interesting,
and hope others who run similar setups will also contribute ideas to
the discussion.

If anyone is interested, I will seek permission from those who posted to
LINUX4LIB to repost their messages here or forward them to individuals.

Chuck
Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Catalog Department		voice: 713/247-3499
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-3158
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002		-=> NOT SPEAKING FOR HPL <=-
      -=>HPL's Homepage: http://sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us<=-

--- On Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:54:46 -0800  Tom Tipsword <TOM at wilbur.db.erau.edu>
wrote:

>>      Our library consortium is looking into using a DOS emulator program
>> (on our UNIX system) to run CD-ROMs from our central site.  The hope
>> is that we could network text-based CD-ROMs this way and have them
>> accessible through our dumb terminals.  There may be some challenges
>> with re-mapping the keyboard but perhaps not much else with a good
>> emulation program.  This seems like a great way to network CD's but I
>> haven't seen this done yet and wonder why not.  I don't have much
>> experience with DOS emulators and would like some suggestions.  If
>> this works, it would be a wonderful networking tool for all of us
>> libraries with dumb terminals.  I'll reply to this list if we're
>> successful with it.
>
>We've been doing this on a production basis for over two years now.
>To the best of my knowledge we were the first site to get this
>working properly, though I believe the University of Georgia libraries were
>also doing something along this line in a similar time frame.  There was
>considerable discussion of this on the cdromlan list awhile back which
>might still be available in the list archives.

[etc.]