listserv archives to web?

Prentiss Riddle riddle at is.rice.edu
Mon Mar 25 16:23:53 EST 1996

> From web4lib at library.berkeley.edu  Mon Mar 18 10:49:50 1996
> Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 08:50:51 -0800
> From: Jian Liu <jiliu at nickel.ucs.indiana.edu>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: listserv archives to web?
>
> Could somebody recommend a FREE program that can convert listserv
> archives to the web, so that the results can be browsed and
> searched? I'll summarize if there is enough interest.

Chris Adams replied with a suggestion of the program "hypermail",
and also mentioned a program called "MHonArc".

I recently had occasion to make the same decision and came up with
the following list of differences between the two programs:

    MHonArc                    Hypermail
    -------                    ---------
    Perl                       C or Common Lisp
    Unix or DOS                Unix
    MH or Unix mailbox format  Unix mailbox format
    MIME support               No MIME support

Neither one has built-in support for a search index (although both can
be used with other search indexes).  Both permit incremental updates.

I ended up choosing MHonArc because of its MIME support.  In many
environments one may be as good as the other.

-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle at rice.edu
-- RiceInfo Administrator, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle