Meet the IPL at ALA!

Nettie Lagace lagace at umich.edu
Mon Jul 1 16:27:18 EDT 1996

*************
MEET THE IPL!
*************

Four Internet Public Library staff members; Nettie Lagace and Sara Ryan,
Coordinators of User Services, Josie Barnes Parker, Coordinator of Youth
Services, and Schelle Simcox, Assistant Director and Editor-in-Chief of
WebINK, IPL's new monthly newsletter for children, will be attending the
annual ALA meeting in New York City later this week.

Part of the reason we are travelling to NYC is to exhibit the IPL at the
Apple Computer booth in the exhibitor area.  We'll be at Apple (booth
#1500) on Saturday, July 6, from 1-4 pm.  Please drop by to see us!

We are also planning an informal 'IPL Coffee Break' for **4:30 pm on
MONDAY, JULY 8** to try to draw together as many interested parties as
possible, talk about and show off WebINK, and discuss our preliminary
ideas for an Internet Library Consortium.  We will gather at the entrance
to the ALA Store at 4:30, and then move to a more comfortable location
(still-to-be-determined) where we can all chat more easily.  Please feel
free to forward this information to anyone you think would be interested
in joining our meeting.

The Internet Public Library (http://www.ipl.org/) is a project of the
University of Michigan School of Information, partially supported by a
grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. The library began as a
graduate student project in 1995, and is now staffed by professional
librarians with assistance from students and volunteer librarians from
around the Internet. The library maintains a collection of network-based
ready reference works; responds to reference queries, creates resources
for children and young adults; evaluates and categorizes resources on the
Internet, and provides a space for exhibitions.  The library strives to be
a source of innovation in the networked environment, seeking partnerships
with organizations with compatible goals.