URL for SUNY Morrisville College Library has changed!!

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Tue Jan 30 13:53:05 EST 1996

>> The URL for the SUNY Morrisville College Library has chaged to:
>>
>>     http://www.snymor.edu/pages/library/
>>

>[text deleted]
>
>> We ... had to reorganize the server directory structure.
>
>How many times have you seen messages like this?  Wouldn't it be nice if
>you never saw another one?

I've lost count, but I'm also starting to see a lot of messages like this from
OCLC.  Were you folks told to go out and act as shills for your product on
every list?

>Using PURLs (Persistent URLs), Mr. Drew could reorganize his server
>directory structure without needing to change the PURL.  He wouldn't need
>to make this announcement, and we wouldn't need to update every instance
>of the URL.
>
>Of course, 'tis better that Bill announce his URL change than not, but better
>still that he get a PURL.
>
>To find our more about PURLs or to get one (or more) for yourself, please
>visit http://purl.oclc.org.

It walks like and advertisement and it quacks like an advertisement.  I think
this is a great list for discussion of the PURL plan, but not a place to drum
up business for it.

Thomas Dowling
(Suspicious of any post ending "To find out more, please visit...")
tdowling at ohiolink.edu