automating CGI logons

Bin Zhang bzhang at hawaii.edu
Thu Jan 25 01:14:27 EST 1996

Ghost in the machine wrote:

> Hi! friends in Web4Lib...and Kerry.
>
>      Can you tell me which kind of HTTPD are you using??
>      Because most of the httpds(like NCSA,CERN,Website or etc) provide
> a access control function, that means you can create a homepage and add the
> access control on this page in your configuration file(like httpd.conf)
>      Then when a user wanna to access this page, they need to provide
> password or that will see a Access denied sign.
>      But this is not like telnet....8-)...You cannot provide "never see the
> name or password" function. Maybe Java could.

You can use expect to write expect script to automatically log onto the database
server, then set up an entry in your inetd.conf and services files, so that
when a person telnet into your server at a particular port, that expect script
is executed.  Try this:

	telnet lama.kcc.hawaii.edu 1030

HTH

> >     We have a number of options on our public access menus that connect to
> > commercial databases that require a name/password for access.  When these
> > sites use Telnet connections, we are able to automate the logon process using
> > C-Kermit scripts, so our users never see the name and password.
> >     Is there any way to do this with WWW servers that run a CGI script to ask
> > for a name and password?  Do we need to set up a CGI script on our server to
> > feed the info to the remote server? -- if so, how does this work?
>
>                                 Nick Chang-----nkchang at arc.org.tw
>                                 Web developer and library volunteer
>                                 American Resource Center, Taiwan

Bin Zhang <bzhang at Hawaii.Edu>         4303 Diamond Head Road
Automation Librarian                  Honolulu, HI 96816
Kapiolani Community College           Phone: (808) 734-9254
University of Hawaii                  Fax:   (808) 734-9453
World Wide Web (URL): http://www2.hawaii.edu/~bzhang/