Put on a happy face!

Brian Kelly b.kelly at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 06:14:50 EST 1996

> Date:          Tue, 20 Feb 1996 02:44:36 -0800
> From:          Jon Knight <J.P.Knight at lut.ac.uk>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject:       Re: Put on a happy face!

> On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Karen G. Schneider wrote:
> > For my next American Libraries column, I've been collecting tidbits of Good
> > Things related to libraries and the 'net.  Know of a book, CD-ROM or URL
> > you recently discovered that will bring strength and solace to your
> > librarian peers?
>
> I don't know whether this is appropriate for the US librarians reading
> your column, but my Good Thing(tm) is that I discovered a CD-ROM yesterday
> that is a joy to network.  Yes, you read that right, a _joy_ to network.
> Its the Guardian Online (a UK newspaper).  Why is it a joy?  Simple; the
> client software runs straight off the CD-ROM so no need to install a whole
> bunch of stuff on our already overfull hard discs, it runs in a reasonable

Ah, Jon, but isn't that the wrong model.  Shouldn't the CD ROM
contain the data, which is independent of the user interface.
Although the user interface might look wonderful today,
how long will it be before it dates?

Brian
Brian Kelly
Netskills         - see http://www.netskills.ac.uk/
Computing Service
University of Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne        B.Kelly at newcastle.ac.uk
NE1 7RU                    0191 222 5002