Put on a happy face!

Jon Knight J.P.Knight at lut.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 05:36:00 EST 1996

On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Karen G. Schneider wrote:
> For my next American Libraries column, I've been collecting tidbits of Good
> Things related to libraries and the 'net.  Know of a book, CD-ROM or URL
> you recently discovered that will bring strength and solace to your
> librarian peers?

I don't know whether this is appropriate for the US librarians reading
your column, but my Good Thing(tm) is that I discovered a CD-ROM yesterday
that is a joy to network.  Yes, you read that right, a _joy_ to network.
Its the Guardian Online (a UK newspaper).  Why is it a joy?  Simple; the
client software runs straight off the CD-ROM so no need to install a whole
bunch of stuff on our already overfull hard discs, it runs in a reasonable
amount of conventional memory, doesn't require lots of temporary files to
be written to a local hard disc our machines don't have, is fast, has a
nice user interface, has interesting content and doesn't require lots of
secret passwords and hidden files to be dropped liberally over our Novell
server.  One day all CD-ROMs will be made this way.

Now the users better like it or ELSE... :-)

Tatty bye,

Jim'll