Black pages

Robert Wagers rwagers at wahoo.sjsu.edu
Fri Feb 9 20:10:35 EST 1996

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Wilfred (Bill) Drew wrote:

> I have turned my hopepage black but do not feel I have the right to turn
> our library pages that color.  My homepage is still fully functional.
> If I turn the library pages black it implies that the entire library
> staff agrees with my viewpoint.  That may not be the case.  The same goes
> for our college homepages that I help maintain.
>
> Here is the text I put at the top of my homepage:
>
> "This page is blackened (and has a black band across it for browsers
> that don't support background colors) in protest of the passage of the
> Communications "Decency" Amendment to the Telecom Bill
>
> For more information go to http://www.eff.org/blueribbon.html "
>
> --
> Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
> SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
> Internet: DREWWE at SNYMORVA.CS.SNYMOR.EDU
> Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
> New Homepage: http://www.snymor.edu/~drewwe/
> --
	Does it imply that the library staff agrees with a certain
opinion (accepts the telecommunications act's stipulations on Internet
access) if you leave it alone?  You can't have it both ways.  By the way,
doesn't the library/college's web page reflect the opinions of the entire
campus community?  If you leave it alone or turn it black, are you sure
you're reflecting all their points of view.  Sorry there is no neutral
position in this, as much as you wish one!

R. Wagers