Netscape on Windows95 for the Public

David Christensen dave at ci.pasadena.ca.us
Thu Feb 1 12:53:18 EST 1996

Thanks to all who responded to my message regarding Netscape and protecting the
config.  I have come up with a temp kind of fix/work-around for the problem.  These
are the steps I had to implement:

	1)	Disable the floppy(s) in BIOS and add a password to BIOS for updating.
	2)	Disable break at machine boot.
	3)	Set the attributes for SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT so that DOS can see and 			write
over them from the AUTOEXEC.BAT.
		-	c:\windows\commands\attrib -s -h -r user.dat
		-	c:\windows\commands\attrib -s -h -r system.dat
	4)	Then copy over them with a backup of locked down versions.  (I keep 			two
versions of these files, "c:\windows\open-cfg\user.dat system.dat" 			and
"c:\windows\clos-cfg\user.dat system.dat" so I can access the 			machine.  I remotely
copy the open versions and this will allow me 			have access to do maintenance, or you
can re-enable the floppy drive 			from BIOS (if you have the password, see step 1.)
and have a DOS boot 			floppy and then manually copy the files.
	5)	Reset the attributes back to +s +h +r for both files.  Then proceed 			with normal
boot.

	Actually you only have to worry about USER.DAT, because that is where all of 		the
settings are programs and gui stuff.  SYSTEM.DAT is mainly for networking 		stuff and
machine specific parameters.

My next challenge is to get my workstation here at Central Library to connect to the
remote Branch Library Windows 95 PC via our backbone router and its wide-area link to
do the remote copy which I spoke of above.  I have tested it with two PC's here at
Central and I think I got it to connect once across my router but I cannot seem to
repeat this function.  This is key to remotely managing the Branch/remote PC's.

Hope this helps.  Maybe you can improve on my system!  :)

David E. Christensen
Network Operations Manager
City of Pasadena, Department of Information Services
(818)405-4251 Office        (818)449-2165 Fax
dave at ci.pasadena.ca.us