SunSite at Berkeley

Terry Huwe thuwe at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 1 14:57:12 EST 1996

Another place where the concept of _long term_ digital preservation
is being pioneered is at Cornell's New York State School of Industrial
and Labor Relations.  The Martin P. Catherwood Library at ILR
has worked out an agreement with the U.S. Dept. of Labor to retain
digital copies of government documents.  They've loaded several that
have lasting import, e.g., the Dunlop Commission report on the "glass
ceiling", and a recent report on child labor.

This was all reported in a press release from Cornell.  The subtext, in
my view, is that Cornell must have undertaken a political "hashing out"
to get this "content".  Seems to me like exactly the right step for
librarians, who are (as a group) going digital fast.  I emailed the
person in charge of this work, Stuart Basefsky, and he said that ILR
_approached_ the DOL and proposed this digital archive.

This is a good strategy, because government web sites will keep documents
online for 1-6 months and then remove them, but the need for researchers
to have sensible access is ongoing.  Probably we all have to be reach
out like ILR did to build and retain quality digital archives.  When we
do, we get the chance to exercise good professional practices, and
maybe leverage the library's image.

Check it out at http://www.ilr.cornell.edu!  Terry Huwe
Terence K. Huwe
Director of Library and Information Resources
Institute of Industrial Relations
University of California at Berkeley
Voice:  (510) 642-1705
Fax:  (510) 642-6432