Netscape cache delete was Netscape 3 -- have to repeatedly click on links?

Thaddeus P. Bejnar LGLLAWLIB at technet.nm.org
Mon Dec 16 20:53:55 EST 1996

Topic:  Netscape cache

I put a delete cache set of commands in the boot autoexec for our public access
machines running Windows 3.1 and Netscape 2.something.  However, I also created
a standby directory C:\netscape\stdcache into which I copied the cache created
from just visiting a couple of the standard serach engines:  Yahoo, Hotbot, Lycos
& Webcrawler.   We don't have our own web site yet, but I will include cache for
that as well when we do.  In the boot autoexec file, after deleting
the residual cache, the standard cache files are copied into C:\netscape\cache.

Incidentally, I also have the boot autoexec overwrite the existing .ini files in
Windows, the netscape .ini file, and the bookmark file with our standard versions.
They can play, but it doesn't stay.

I should also admit that we haven't had any problems yet with vandals who deliberately
try to sabotage the system.    But we have reformated the harddisk and laplinked the
standard configuration back in a couple of times, when odd configurations developed.
[A visiting student said that we were just lazy and should diagnose the problems.]
Additions and changes to the standard configuration become staff discussions.

The only down side has been a few comments from users who wanted to keep their own
configurations on the public terminals.  But the biggest plus has been keeping the
standrad bookmarks available when trying to help a patron.