Pay for pages? -Reply

Sam Boltik samb at wri.org
Tue Aug 20 10:22:35 EDT 1996

Why shouldn't the development of Web pages mean a pay
increment?  Your run of the mill pretty text may not be a
big deal, but the development and management of a
dynamic and interactive site can (and often does) include
learning a great deal of technical material, programming,
graphic manipulation, scripting, machine configuration,
server administration etc. etc. ad infinitum

Just as libraries typically pay someone with more
education (the M.L.S. vs a BA) more money, they also
typically pay someone with the second Masters more than
someone with only the M.L.S..  Why then shouldn't
someone who has developed the other skills areas be paid
more for bringing those skills to their position. Systems and
Network Librarians have typically done better in the pay
envelope than others - and why shouldn't they?

Those who conduct orientations, provide bibliographic
instruction, teach research methods courses or act as
program liaisons are often able to parlay that experience
(assumption of additional duties) into a higher pay rate
when they go through a job transition - be it an annual
review at the present employer or when switching
employers.

Adding to ones range of knowledge and skills is all part of
professional development.  We all seek (at least I hope we
all seek) all reasonable professional development
opportunities to learn and grow as professionals and as
individuals, not only to add to our marketability, but also to
increase our value to those that we provide services to and
to increase our own satisfaction with our careers.   Taking
on additional duties above and beyond one's present
position should be rewarded. Yes/no?

Just some random ranting from the east coast....

SamB

>>> Sara Weissman/Morris Cty Library
<WEISSMAN at main.morris.org> 08/19/96 07:10pm

**this is NOT about running a site SERVER**
Karen Commings posting got me to thinking: did librarians
ask for more pay when catalog cards went from by hand
to typewritten, from typewriter to word processor? do we
ask for more pay when we do a bibliography, newsletter,
BI class, story hour? isn't creating web pages part of our
job, responsibility, profession?
Isadore Gilbert Mudge and the ALA both said/say we will
prepare
("package" is the 90s term) information for our patrons,
make it accessible. (Why) should? creating web pages
mean a pay increment?