Suggested Plug-Ins/Helper Apps

Rich Harrington rharrington at jjhill.org
Tue Aug 20 10:59:06 EDT 1996

Thanks to all who responded to my question about which plug-ins/helper apps
to set up on a public Netscape workstation.  I received 7 responses.

Times Suggested - Application
-----------------------------
3 - Telnet client
2 - Adobe Acrobat (PDF viewer)
2 - Real Audio (streamed audio -- http://www.realaudio.com)
2 - (SoftQuad's) Panorama 1.0 (SGML)
        http://www.sq.com/products/panorama/pan-free.htm
2 - ShockWave (audio/animation product -- http://www.macromedia.com)
1 - Ghostscript and/or Ghostview (for PostScript files)
1 - Indeo (AVI video files)
        see http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/papr/mpixhome.html or download directly
        from http://www.intel.com/pc-supp/multimed/indeo/
1 - L View Pro (photo viewing sw?) http://www.lview.com
1 - MS Paintbrush or other PCX viewer
1 - Powerpoint viewer
1 - Streamworks (streamed video -- http://www.xing.com)
1 - TIFF viewer (list at http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/imagehelp.html)
1 - VDO Live (streamed video -- http://www.vdolive.com)
1 - VRML Virtual Reality pages, e.g. Live 3D -- http://home.netscape.com/
        comprod/products/navigator/live3d/download_live3d.html
1 - Word for Windows viewer (MS WordView http://www.microsoft.com/msword
        or View http://delta.com/arcaine.  URLs from InfoWorld 8-12-96 p.43)
1 - Z39.50 client

   As I investigated them, many of these turned out to be excellent
suggestions, and I probably will use a number of them on our public access
Internet computers.  I want to strike a balance between making a heck of a
lot of work for me tightening down these (Win 3.11) PCs and giving our
patrons the helper apps they need for their business research.

   Thanks to Ulrich Babiak, Anthony Troncale, Linda Hyman, Elizabeth Brown,
Mary Doyle, Steve Cramer, and Chuck Bearden for their suggestions and
willingness to answer.

Rich
Rich Harrington
Electronic Services Department
James J. Hill Reference Library, St. Paul, MN USA
rharrington at jjhill.org