Hal Kirkwood hkirk at uno.cc.geneseo.edu
Fri Apr 26 14:32:51 EDT 1996

Hello all,

I had several requests for a summary to my questions on Netscape printing
on public workstations.

>Question 1:  Is there any way to determine the actual number of pages a
>document will be?  And is there a way to determine the exact page number
>for a certain screen?  E.g. if I wanted to print just 'pages' 5-8....and I
>would rather not have to cut and paste.

Answer:  From multiple people....
On a Windows system you can go under FILE and select PRINT PREVIEW.
This allows you to look at the total number of pages that a web document is
and allows you to select portions of the document to print.

On my PowerMac version of Netscape 2.01, it does not have the Print Preview
option.  If some can add some info to this I would be greatly appreciative.

>Question 2:  Is there a way to limit the total number of pages allowed for
>printing...we would like to avoid the problem of a student unwittingly
>trying to print a 50+ page document.

No one has an answer to this question yet.  If someone does please post it
to the list.
Suggestions to deal with this included 'disabling the print function and
only allowing downloading' and 'setting up a vendacard system to let
economics control the abuse'

Neither of these are options for us.  We want to allow printing and we now
have free laser printing campus-wide in the public computing labs.  It
would be hard to justify charging in just the library.

Special thanks to: Sharon Berglund, David King, Earl Sande, Elisa Miller,
Megan Adams, Rich Harrington, and any others I may have forgotten.

-hal

Hal Kirkwood                  hkirk at uno.cc.geneseo.edu        *
Assistant Librarian                                           *
Fraser Library ---- Business/Computer Science/Math            *
S.U.N.Y. at Geneseo    1 College Circle    Geneseo, NY 14454  *
Work#716/245-5334            Fax#716/245-5003                 *
My opinions do not represent the university.                  *
Personal Home Page  http://137.238.50.66/~hal/hal.html        *