Web-accessible thesauri

Cheryl Graunke cgra at loc.gov
Fri Apr 26 08:33:09 EDT 1996

To Ms. Shargorodska and other Web-4-Lib'ers:

For those of you who are interested in thesauri, the Library of Congress
has a page dedicated to its thesauri at:

http://lcweb.loc.gov/lexico/

Currently, the LEXICO-based LIV thesaurus is not available through this
page, but it will be soon.

Right now, the Legislative Indexing Vocabulary Thesaurus (LIV) available
through THOMAS, is created by the staff of the Congressional Research
Service, is just a series of ASCII text files.  Of course, everyone is
free to look at the ASCII text files, but they are somewhat outdated and
not searchable (except individual alphabetical ranges, with the "find"
command of your browser).

However, within the next week, a SEARCHABLE LIV will be substituted -- it
is based on Lexico thesaurus software.  Unless your need is pressing, I
suggest that you wait until next week to get the up-to-date and
searchable version of LIV.  It will be accessible from the THOMAS Bill
Summary & Status page:

http://thomas.loc.gov/d104/d104query.html

     .   Cheryl Graunke                   cgra at loc.gov     .
     .   Congressional Research Service   202-707-3603     .
     .   CRS-OPS-AU, Room LM-226          Fax 202-707-3670 .
     .   Library of Congress               < STANDARD >    .
     .   Washington, DC  20540-7120     < DISCLAIMER HERE >.