Location information on library/institution webpages

Steve Harding harding at nas.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 8 11:07:48 EDT 1996

> I suppose the reason that most of us don't list the location is that the
> Library page is one in a number that are linked to a University homepage
> that does have an 'ABOUT the University of ...' section. I know our
> Library homepage left the address out because we felt it to be redundant
> and because we felt there was other information that was more important.
> A second reason might be that many of us created homepages for the use of
> our own community (students, faculty and staff) and felt that if they
> didn't know the address of their own institution, they were in deep
> trouble.
> If your next question is will you add it to the homepage? I think I'd
> vote no because it can be found from the University homepage.
>
> Bruce MacNeil
> Associate Librarian, Information
> University of Waterloo
> Waterloo, ON  N2L 3G1
> bpmacnei at library.uwaterloo.ca
> (519) 888-4567 x2112

One of the problems with the web is that many people think linearly.  It is
assumed that folks will always step through the pages to get to what they
want.  Even though you may have an "About our site" page or site information
on your initial page, you cannot assume that the reader did not access the
page directly.

Secondly, if your pages are accessible from the 'outside' world, you should
not assume that you are creating for your own community.  If they are only
accessible from within your community, that is another thing, and the point
is moot.

Do you have a link to your 'ABOUT the University of ...' section?