Netscape kiosk mode

Kevin Justie kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
Thu Nov 2 14:27:04 EST 1995

>>I'm at a public library which is planning to offer patron access to the
>>Internet in early '96. I've heard mention of using Netscape in kiosk mode
>
>I too am interested in learning how to use Netscape (on Macs) in a kiosk
>mode. It would be wonderful to disable access to the menu (or most of the
>menu). This is conjunction with AtEase would make the whole lash-up more
>robust.

A program called ResEdit (Resource Editor; I assume it's available on AOL
and similar sources) can be used to alter menus in most Mac programs. I've
used it to change command keys, change menu text, remove menu items,
colorize menu items, etc.  There are books on ResEdit that will show you
how to change menus and other things in a program, but ResEdit has the
potentional to be VERY DANGEROUS to your programs!!!   You can very easily
detroy a program by changing the wrong thing; the admonition that everyone
is unofficially obligated to include in any mention of ResEdit is -- always
work on a copy of the program, not your original!   (If anyone knows of a
similar editing program for Windows programs, I'd like to hear about it).

Kevin Justie
Head of Technical and Automated Services
Morton Grove Public Library
Morton Grove, IL
(708) 965-4220
kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org