We still _need_ each other... (Was Oregon again...)

Melissa Silvestre silvest at umslvma.umsl.edu
Fri Dec 1 15:10:59 EST 1995

Sorry, I've lost who said this:
>The truth of the matter is that we need each other.  Computer scientists,
>such as myself, need to be involved in making sure that the systems that are
>designed are easy to use, robust, and meet the needs of patrons and
>librarians.  Librarians need to be open to the notion that other disciplines

Am I the only librarian on this list that shudders (or laughs)
at the idea of computer programmers making sure they design
"easy to use" systems?

Just as librarians have to be more aware of their own need to work
with computer folk, the computer folk have to face that they need
input on interface design from the people who use the stuff -
programmers are known for thinking that the programmer in the next
cubicle is a good person to ask whether a new whatever they're writing
is easy to use. In my work with our computer center on our campus
web, I see this "I the programmer think it's easy to use, so it must
be" all too often.

By the way, I'm deliberately blurring the line between computer
programmers and computer scientists because the line is blurred
in practical terms in the workplace (a lot of programmers I know
call themselves computer scientists, but they haven't studied
anything to do with the theory of interface design, for instance).