Launching DOS apps under Netscape

Dave Binkley binkley at sfu.ca
Wed Dec 6 13:26:26 EST 1995

Many thanks to those who responded to my request for information on running
DOS and Windows applications from within a Netscape session.  The easiest
solution, which seems to be working fine, is a program called W3LAUNCH,
which was brought to my attention by Peter Gorman.  It is available from
http://bmbwww.leeds.ac.uk/w3launch/home.htm, and includes dialog boxes for
quickly creating the configuration files needed to launch local
applications.  The author seems to have given thought to the security
implications of this sort of set up as well.

This should allow us to run Netscape as the sole front end on our public
workstations, never having to show raw Windows to our users.

Thanks again.

Dave
Dave Binkley             | binkley at sfu.ca
Librarian/Analyst        | voice: 604 291 5753
Systems Department       | fax: 604 291 3023
W.A.C. Bennett Library   |
Simon Fraser University  |
Burnaby, British Columbia|
CANADA                   |