Using CASSIE (or something else) to print to PDF

Thomas Edelblute TEdelblute at ANAHEIM.NET
Fri Jun 24 12:26:54 EDT 2016

Something does not make sense to me here.  Printing to PDF does not consume any paper or ink, so why would people have to pay for that priviledge?

Thomas Edelblute
Anaheim Public Library

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Zoe Friedlander
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 10:47 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Using CASSIE (or something else) to print to PDF

[Please excuse cross-posting.]

Hello, we have used CASSIE for years for our patrons to be able to print. (We have a lot of restricted materials so all printing needs to be routed via our staff.) We would now like to offer patrons the choice to print to PDF or to print to paper. If they choose to print to PDF, we would still charge the same rate per page, and we would then deliver the PDF through email or some other kind of electronic delivery. (Allowing the use of flash drives is not an option.) We have learned that CASSIE doesn't allow printing to PDF; while it might be possible to bypass CASSIE, we would then lose the page counting and job charge features. Does anyone else have a similar constraints as well as similar needs, and if so, how are you providing patrons with the ability to print to PDF?

Thanks very much,

Zoe

[?]<http://www.oscars.org/>

Zoe Friedlander
Head of Library Systems

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Information Technology
333 S. La Cienega Boulevard * Beverly Hills, CA 90211

310.247.3000 x2239 * zfriedlander at oscars.org<mailto:zfriedlander at oscars.org>
=========

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2016-06-23

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAWS. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message immediately. Thank you.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2016-06-24