"About Us" pages in websites

Hess, Ryan Ryan.Hess at CITYOFPALOALTO.ORG
Wed Apr 20 15:09:52 EDT 2016

Hey Rachel,

We did this when I was at DePaul University. The idea was to make our Contact Us page reflect the common questions that people would want to contact us about. When it made sense, like with Billing, we would put a direct link to the policy.

You can see it in action here: http://library.depaul.edu/about/contact-us/Pages/default.aspx

M Ryan Hess | Senior Librarian for Information Technology & Collections

3700 Middlefield Road | Palo Alto, CA 94301

Phone: 650.329.2620 | Email: ryan.hess at cityofpaloalto.org<mailto:ryan.hess at cityofpaloalto.org>

[PAC_Library_Logo email]

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Rachel Vidrine
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:20 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] "About Us" pages in websites

Hi,
I am trying to decide the best way to balance a user-focused "About the Library" page with a Policies page on a library website. Should there be two separate pages, one user-focused that addresses common patron questions, and another, more formal document written as a policies manual? Is there a way to combine the two? Or is it more typical to keep a policies/procedures manual as an internal document that staff can refer to when needed? It is of my opinion that the important information that patrons want should be extracted from the policies manual and rewritten to be user-friendly, but it is not always possible to get colleagues and managers on board with that.
Thanks for any insight,
Rachel Vidrine

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2016-04-20