website options

Haitz, Lisa (haitzlm) haitzlm at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Tue Sep 29 15:12:17 EDT 2015

Wow- your IT department is really tying both your arms behind your back! What’s the point of having your own web server without any server-side coding language support?

You might tell your administration: nothing is free. Open source is free to purchase, but requires your time for setup, updates, upgrades, installs. As others have pointed out, if you want a database driven site, you need server side languages.

Personally, I would try to get your administration to consider a Wordpress hosted solution. We have a sandbox on Hostgator that runs us about $100 a year, which hosts many of our development projects, test installs and other also hosts: http://booksbythebanks.org. On that install, we added a few custom tables to a standard Wordpress install. Not hard to do at all.

In the long run, hosted Wordpress  will be your cheapest option when you take into account your time: learning a new system (you already know Wordpress),  design, testing, etc... It could be totally free if your IT department would let you host this on their servers.

If all that doesn’t work, I would definitely consider Christian’s suggestion.

Good Luck!

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Shannon E. Fox
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 12:23 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] website options

Cost is definitely an issue. All requests for hosted options have been rejected. Also, getting IT to support certain software or scripting languages on the library webserver has been unsuccessful so far. IT has said no both to installations of PHP and ASP.net and trials of open source content management systems. Our webserver is separate from the college’s so that is why they do not want to support two separate installations of technologies (beyond HTML) as they fear there will be problems that will later require them to fix. IT has locked down the college WordPress CMS tight, so when I attempted widgets/search boxes or anything we have embedded in current website, WordPress stripped out the coding. Subsequently, I was informed they did not want to turn anything on that would compromise security. I would not be an admin but I can choose from several templates for each page, but basically our pages would consist only of verbiage, links and pictures for content. That is why we held off on migrating to the college CMS. Additionally, there is a new design for the college website and it is responsive design, but they have not applied it to subsites like ours (the one for the library I have not completed) and they do not know yet when they would apply the new design across the board so that all sites look the same. We are a small college library and I am the only webpage creator/editor. (Sorry -- answering previous questions as well. ☺ )

I appreciate all of the suggestions though, there is much to consider that I definitely will investigate.

Current website: http://abell.austincollege.edu/abell/ on our own IT hosted server

Current college website: http://www.austincollege.edu/

Subsite on the previous design: http://newlibrary.austincollege.edu/ -- what I started but have not completed

Shannon