New Release: Diva.js 4.0 (with IIIF support)

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 9 04:55:42 EDT 2015

We’re pleased to announce a new version of our open-source document image viewer, Diva.js. Diva is an ideal for archival book digitization initiatives where viewing high-resolution images is a crucial part of the user experience. Using Diva, libraries, archives, and museums can present high-resolution document page images in a user-friendly “instant-on” interface that has been optimized for speed and flexibility.

In version 4.0 we’re introducing support for the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF). Through IIIF, Diva becomes part of a larger movement to enhance archival image collections through promoting sharing of these resources.

With 4.0 we’re also introducing the “Book Layout” view, presenting document images as openings, or facing pages. This will provide our users with a valuable way of visualizing document openings, providing more tools for viewing and understanding the structure of a digitized document.

Several demos are available at http://ddmal.github.io/diva.js/try/ <http://ddmal.github.io/diva.js/try/>

Other improvements in 4.0 include:
	• Improved integration with existing web applications
	• New plugins: Autoscroll (animated page scrolling), Page Alias (pages may have multiple identifiers), IIIF Metadata (displays document metadata from IIIF manifest), IIIF Highlight (displays annotations from a IIIF manifest)
	• Improved build system with Gulp
	• Support for switching documents without reloading the viewer
	• Numerous bug fixes and optimizations

For more information, demos, and documentation visit http://ddmal.github.io/diva.js/ <http://ddmal.github.io/diva.js/>.

Diva.js is developed by the Distributed Digital Music Archives and Libraries laboratory, part of the Music Technology Area of the Schulich School of Music at McGill University and is funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.

**This message has been cross-posted. Thank you for your understanding.**

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-09-09